Dear CC-SG community,
Some of you may be aware of the restructuring at CC (HQ), including the introduction of a new global membership structure <https://creativecommons.org/about/global-affiliate-network/>. The MOU between CC and CAPTEL (i.e. CC-SG affiliate) has also ended.
With this, we the current CC-SG team (Chung Nian, Hisham, and Ivan) have reviewed how best to continue supporting and organising CC initiatives. This announcement shares our thinking and rationale.
Here’s the TLDR version:
- CC-SG informal group has been voluntarily dissolved
- For interested in playing their own active roles in promoting CC, you are encouraged to participate in CC directly, through these means: Individual Member <https://network.creativecommons.org/sign-up/individual/>, Institutional Member <https://github.com/creativecommons/global-network-strategy/blob/master/docs/Guide_to_becoming_an_institutional_member.md>
Purpose of CC-SG
The CC-SG informal group was primarily formed to see through the porting of the SG version license in 2008 (released as version 3.0 in). <https://creativecommonssingapore.wordpress.com/category/press-release/>.
The CC license now at version 4.0 <https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions> where it’s been designed to operate even better internationally, this has effectively removed the need for porting especially in the case of CC-SG version.
Community & publicity
The second main aspect of CC-SG was to promote awareness of CC and help provide localised information.
From the start, such activities have been done in individual capacities and taken place organically as grassroots activities tend to be. CC-SG is grateful to have the support of educators and individuals, who have either actively used CC materials and/ or shared CC with their own private and professional circles.
In reality, anyone can become a CC advocate.
With the CC Global Network formally in place, this means anyone can volunteer to be a CC advocate by applying direct to CC.
- Individual Member <https://network.creativecommons.org/sign-up/individual/>
- Institutional Member <https://github.com/creativecommons/global-network-strategy/blob/master/docs/Guide_to_becoming_an_institutional_member.md>
As such, the following platforms will be retired/ archived:
- CC-SG Google group mailing list
- Blog/ website
- Facebook page
Sincerely and with Best Regards,
Ivan Chew (Public Lead)
Mohd Hisham (Community Manager)
Lam Chung Nian (Legal Lead)