Parallels just launched Parallels Desktop 16(PD16) for Mac, that has been designed to be consistent with the new macOS Big Sur interface. It promises increased graphics performance. PD16 subscribers receive complimentary concurrent subscriptions to Parallels Toolbox for Mac and Windows and Parallels Access.
“Parallels invested more than 25-man-years of engineer programming to take full advantage of the new macOS Big Sur architecture and revamped kernel extensions to deliver our best Windows-on-Mac performance ever for our Parallels Desktop 16 customers,” said Nick Dobrovolskiy, Parallels Senior Vice President of Engineering and Support. “The innovative new
features in Parallels Desktop 16 include the world’s first support for Metal applications with 3D capabilities running in a macOS Big Sur virtual machine on a macOS Big Sur host. Performance improvements include launching twice as fast, up to 20 percent faster Windows resume and shutdown, faster DirectX and more.”
New Feature Highlights of Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac:
- DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3: Up to 20 percent faster DirectX 11 and improved OpenGL 3
- graphics in Windows and Linux.
- • Increased battery life: Stay productive on the go with up to 10 percent longer battery
- life when Windows runs in Travel Mode.
- • Automatically reclaim disk space: Virtual machines (VMs) can be set to automatically
- return unused disk space when shutting down.
- • New multi-touch gestures for Windows apps: Use smooth zoom and rotate Trackpad
- multi-touch gestures in Windows apps.
- • Enhanced printing: Print on both sides and use more paper sizes, from A0 to envelope.
Availability and Pricing
All editions of Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac (Standard Edition, Pro Edition and Business Edition) are available now for purchase either online at parallels.com/desktop (which also offers free fullfeatured 14-day trials for new users) or from retail and online stores worldwide. Parallels
Desktop subscriptions include complimentary concurrent subscriptions to Parallels Toolbox for Mac and Windows and Parallels Access, which are also separately available to all PC and Mac users as standalone products for free trials and subscriptions.
Current Parallels Desktop for Mac customers (any edition) can get upgrade pricing for Parallels Desktop 16 online at parallels.com/desktop-upgrade. New customers can download free trials and purchase at parallels.com/desktop.
Recommended Retail Price (RRP)
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac
• Upgrade from any edition to a perpetual license – US$49.99
• New subscription – US$79.99 per year
• New perpetual license – US$99.99
Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition
• Upgrade from any edition – US$49.99 per year
• New subscription – US$99.99 per year
Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition
• US$99.99 per year
PRO vs BUSINESS EDITION
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac Pro Edition
The #1 selling version of Parallels Desktop is Parallels Desktop Pro Edition. It is a more powerful, feature-rich and flexible solution than the Standard Edition yet simple to use. Parallels Desktop Pro Edition makes it easy for anyone to enjoy maximum productivity. New and key Pro Edition features include:
• CPUs and RAM: Assign up to 32 vCPUs and 128 GB vRAM for each VM.
• Microsoft Visual Studio plug-in: Visual Studio integration simplifies testing
applications across operating systems.
• Create and name custom networks (new): Name your custom networks for more organized and productive testing.
• Nested Virtualization: Run and test Microsoft Hyper-V based virtual machines in your Parallels Desktop virtual machine.
• Command Line: Rich command line interface (prlctl and prlsrvctl) allows flexible work automatization.
• Vagrant, Docker, and Jenkins Plugins: Complimentary Vagrant, Docker and
Jenkins plugins/providers for developers.
• Linked Clones: Make a new VM from a snapshot of the exiting VM. The linked clone occupies only a fraction of disk space that is used by the parent VM, as it reuses disk sectors that are the same for both VMs.
• Archive a VM right in Control Center: Pro users tend to have many virtual
machines which occupy a lot of disk space. In-place archive right from Parallels Desktop Control Center, with the ability to manage the configuration of an archived VM, brings unique convenience.
• Prepare for transfer (new): Export a VM in a compressed format as a solid file for easier and faster upload and transfer to new hardware.
• 50+ features: More than 50 useful and time-saving features are included in the Pro Edition.
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac Business Edition
New Parallels Desktop 16 Business Edition features, which are in addition to all Pro Edition features, include:
• Corporate VM provisioning: Easily configure VMs with preinstalled applications to upload and host for employees to securely download and run on their Mac devices.
• Upgrade control: Centralized administration provides flexible controls to manage access to new Parallels Desktop updates, new feature releases, upgrades and new macOS releases.
• Password-less update: Administrator credentials are no longer required for Parallels Desktop updates, making it easier for IT and users to keep it current even when users are not admins on their Mac devices.
• Easy installation on macOS Big Sur: Parallels Desktop installation on macOS Big Sur does NOT require approval of system extension, so installation is fast, seamless and does not require rebooting your Mac.